How Safety App Can Help Prevent Bullying in Your School
Do you know a child who’s being bullied? Then you’ve seen firsthand the toll it takes on their physical and emotional well-being. The long-term effects of bullying are severe, including poor health, substance abuse, anxiety, depression, and suicide. With so much at stake, now is the time for parents, educators, and students to work together to stop bullying.
In order to effectively stamp out bullying, your school needs to take a three-step approach: increase awareness, deescalate bullying incidents, and prevent future occurrences. Here’s how to get started — and how CrisisGo’s Bully & Tips Reporting app can help you fight bullying in your school.
1. Increasing Safety Awareness
Some students don’t truly understand what bullying really is. So let’s define bullying for kids. There are four different types of bullying commonly found in schools:
· Physical Bullying: This bully employs physical violence, repeatedly hitting, kicking, tripping, or otherwise hurting their victim’s body.
· Verbal Bullying: This can include name-calling, threats, and cruel remarks that disparage the victim’s appearance, ethnicity, religion etc., which are often ongoing and intended to harm the victim’s self-esteem.
· Relational Bullying: Like in the movie Mean Girls, this kind of bully attempts to exclude their victim from joining or being part of a group, causing great psychological distress.
· Cyberbullying: Some bullies exploit social media and smartphone technology to spread false rumors and damaging gossip about their victims, often under the cover of anonymity.
It’s crucial that parents and educators maintain an open conversation with students to help them recognize bullying and take appropriate action when they see it. CrisisGo’s Bully & Tips Reporting app includes a safety awareness center with valuable information, such as cyber safety tips for parents and bullying warning signs, that can help you and your kids be prepared to stand up to bullying. The school can also send out digital safety cards if they want to share relevant or timely safety messages.
2. Managing and Deescalating Bullying Incidents
Many bullying incidents go unreported, because the victims are afraid to speak out, fearing that their school won’t support them, and that their suffering will only get worse. Most school reporting software only lets educators report bullying incidents, but with CrisisGo’s Bully & Tips Reporting, students have the power to fill out their own bullying report forms easily and anonymously right from their mobile device. Your school safety team will immediately receive the location and specifics of all incidents, enabling them to quickly take steps to protect students. In addition, educators will be able to complete detailed incident reports that meet district and state requirements right from their mobile devices.
3. Preventing Future Occurrences
CrisisGo’s Bully & Tips Reporting app puts a high-tech twist on the well-known safety adage: “If you see something, say something.” Giving your students a secure and anonymous way to report bullying builds trust and increases the likelihood that victims and witnesses will come forward about their bullying experiences. With CrisisGo, you not only empower victims of bullying — you also make safety a shared responsibility for your entire school community, which will lead to better outcomes for your students.